Saturday, January 8, 2011

What do you want?

Had another pre placement talk with a steel major. Had three veterans speak to us. It was amazing. The things that stayed with me though were

a) we have fabulous people coming and giving us fabulous opportunities
b) There is so much we can learn from them if we just dont let things go to our head
c) A statement made by the marketing head, do u know where you want to go and what do you want to achieve that will make you say this is what i wanted to do when i set out

What do i want to achieve???? I think i know but Im not going to lay it down here in case some HR checks my blog.. :P We are in an era where knowledge is literally flung out at us. Digital media has allowed us to literally have everything at your fingertips. SUre this has made us smarter at our age than maybe the previous generations but there is a flip side

It has oversimplified things

You want to know how a car engine works google it.
You want to see what you missed out on at your friends wedding you didnt attend.. no need to visit him.her just go to facebook
You want to know how to get from one city to the other, why google map has every minute direction laid down for you.

But you want to know where you want ot go in 20 years.... Well there are no directions for that are there... Now if only God would have little arrows pointing in the direction you should take or maybe a step by step flow of what to do next...

What do i want to do in the next 20 years...

I know I want to be in a job I love, and give it my best. And I want to make a difference. Not only at the workplace but also to the society. Now how vague does that sound?? or maybe i know what i want and its just that im still fine tuning it. Anyways... on the lighter side, I know I want to give preplacement talks for a great firm and have everyone hold me in high regard just like we hold those that we see before us today... :P Anyways dont think im concluding this one tonight.



No comments: