Sunday, March 17, 2013

Impact

The dreadful gang rape of Dec, caught the whole world's attention. The barbarianism of that act, left everyone connected or not apalled and angry. But that is not the only legacy it leaves behind. It was a very strong reminder that the Indian society on the whole and the North Indian society has very little respect for women.

Female foeticide, trafficking, dowry deaths, it leaves me seething and wondering what does it really mean to be a woman in India. And the sad reality is that India is a whole different ball game  for women than it is for men.

Is there a solution to it? the glaring answer is no. With the way the population is exploding, there is absolutely no way the situation is going to improve. The upper middle class and rich are comparatively in a better place than the others, however they better start taking precautions too, cause its no longer the vulnerable that these desperate bastards are after anymore, your status can no longer protect you , the mere fact that you are a woman makes you vulnerable.

The impact can be felt everywhere. The fact that I now look at almost every man walking in my vicinity as a potential rapist is something I don't like but is now ingrained in my mind. No longer will you see me with my ear-plugs plugged in walking away and enjoying myself, I find myself on full alert all the time. And it must be disturbing to the guys I glare at too. I'm sure I make it very obvous what I think of them and their kind just by looking at them spitefully. And Im not alone, most women have adopted this wary approach to them. I remember one of my friends from Bangalore asking me on his visit to Delhi, why do all the women always frown here? Well I think I have just found the answer. I would much rather glare a guy away than take the chance of having my life cut short.

The world's just become a much sadder place.

No comments: